UV adhesive curing is recognized as one of the most advantageous methods for quickly curing adhesives, offering powerful benefits with seemingly endless applications. UV light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that can be broken down into various wavelengths between 10 and 400 nanometers, commonly referred to as UVA, UVB, or UVC lighting.
The electromagnetic properties of ultraviolet wavelengths are so powerful it can instantly cure (dry and harden) many different types of materials including polymer resins, adhesive coatings, and inks and varnishes. The various wavelengths are referred to as nanometers (nm), which possess specific properties that work well in specific applications.
UVC lighting arrives in shorter wavelengths at 200 to 280nm, and is typically used for germicidal, sterilization and purification applications, instantly eradicating harmful bacteria and viruses from air and water. UVA (315-400nm) and UVB (280-315nm) lighting have several useful applications as they create a photochemical reaction with an endless list of polymers and adhesives, providing impressive financial and environmental benefits.
LightSources is a global leader and supplier of all various forms of UV lighting applications contributing valuable research and products to OEM’s worldwide for all UV curing applications, including UV adhesive curing.
Applications Using UV Curing for Adhesives, Filling and Bonding
Several manufacturing processes are using UV adhesive curing for applications including:
- Medical and Dental Devices
- When consistent quality and sterilization is required for items such as optical lenses and sterilized devices for the medical and dental field
- UV adhesive curing provides clear optical quality coupled with strength and durability in extreme temperature conditions
- Complex precision applications require long lasting durability and dependability in extreme conditions
- Adhesives may be used to cover vital electrodes, where a peel off film may be required to remove easily for installation, while providing reliable protection during packaging and transport
- May be used as permanent adhesive for bonding glass, metal and plastics providing a long shelf-life
- Fiber Optics
- UV lighting provides a tight seal when assembling fiber optic cable into glass tubing
- Promotes consistent LED or LCD lighting by providing instant bonding of glues and fillers with glass tubing and wire connectors
- Ink-Jet Printing
- UV curing is used to instantly dry inks in several printing applications onto papers, brochures and various card stock
- Labeling on Products
- Instantly dries inks and varnishes in company logos affixed to products in various forms including plastics, glass and adhesive labels
Advantages of UV Adhesive Curing
Using UV radiation for curing adhesives, inks, glues and bonds gives tremendous advantages to manufacturers, OEM’s large and small. UV curing is obviously better for the environment than using solvents.
It can also be a good investment. With the purchase of long lasting bulbs, you can replace the need for purchasing solvents, maintaining inventory, maintaining a workforce to administer applications, providing safety equipment to your work force for the pollutant, and maintaining Material Safety Data Sheets for the purchased chemicals.
Provides a Consistent High Quality Process
UV treatment provides a consistent process with instant drying minimizing shrinkage of the original application, resulting in a high gloss durable coating, in seconds. Curing with chemical coatings does not provide a consistent process as it allows for shrinking. Conventional evaporation drying techniques may incur up to 50% shrinkage of the initial application.
Using UV curing provides a consistent process thus resulting in a quality part.
Available for All Over Treatment on 3-D Parts
LightSources has skilled designers and engineers on staff that can assist you in developing a custom-built system allowing you to treat three dimensional parts with consistent effective results.
Our lamps can be installed either vertically or horizontally with equal efficiency, providing full coverage to critical areas on three dimensional parts.
We have universal connectors, or can develop custom installation fittings to match your equipment.
Higher Profits with Increased Efficiency
Installing a UV treatment system will yield many financial benefits with less scrap, reduced time, less work in process, and faster curing times.
Conducting a simple value stream mapping analysis will reveal a reduction in energy use, pollutants, waste, labor, and time. Improving cycle times is one of the most financially advantageous practices for manufacturers.
Value Added Benefits from LightSources Group
The LightSources Group offers:
- Facilities in the United States and China utilizing innovative patented technology
- LightTech in Europe with a specialty glass factory with custom design capability
- Strategic partner Cerlux, providing custom ceramic bases and fittings
- Voltarc specializes in neon and fluorescent signs
- LCD Lighting provides custom miniature lighting in electronics and avionics
LightSources provides a vast array of services in any application involving lighting and UV lighting applications. We maintain an expert staff of designers and engineers and continually improve our products and processes. This allows us to provide a cost savings to our customers.
LightSources and our affiliated companies represent the leading high-tech designers and manufacturers in the lamp industry today. Our products are used world-wide in a multitude of applications and industries such as our UV polymer curing lamps and industrial air purification systems that offer patent-protected, OEM-oriented solutions. Please contact us to learn more about our large selection of specialty custom and standard lamps.