UV water treatment systems are used around the world to provide environmentally safe, eco-friendly water sterilization. In order for a water treatment system to be considered “green”, it must not add any byproducts to the water. UV water sterilization is a physical process which adds nothing to the water and does not affect the dissolved oxygen content or chemical composition of water.
UV water sterilization is therefore considered to be a sustainable, or green technology. Thousands of municipalities worldwide are adopting UV water treatment systems in construction of new water treatment plants and by converting existing chemical treatment processes. UV water treatment is environmentally friendly, safe and cost-effective, providing many benefits to water treatment systems.
Benefits of UV Water Treatment Systems
UV water treatment systems provide many benefits over other types of water sterilization methods, including chlorine-based processes. UV light is proven to eradicate Giardia and Cryptosporidium, microorganisms which are chlorine resistant and proven to cause thousands of illnesses each year. UV water sterilization offers a host of advantages which include:
- Environmentally Friendly – UV water treatment is an environmentally friendly method of sterilizing water with no harmful by products added during sterilization.
- Safe – UV light is safe for humans and poses no risks to employees handling chemicals. With UV water sterilization, there is no need to purchase, store or dispose of harmful chemicals.
- Effective – UV radiation is proven to destroy 99.99% of harmful microorganisms including bacteria, viruses, fungi, E-coli, Giardia, Cryptosporidium, salmonella, typhoid fever, infectious hepatitis, meningitis and many other pathogens.
- FDA Approved – UV water treatment is one of four methods approved by the FDA for safe and effective water sterilization.
Reliable – UV light works around the clock with consistent and reliable performance.
- Efficient – UV radiation instantly kills germs for fast and effective water sterilization.
- Cost-Effective – UV water treatment systems are extremely cost-effective with little to no maintenance required and no man hours needed to handle chemicals. With long-lasting, high performance UVC germicidal lamps, UV water sterilization is trouble-free, saving time and money.
Treating water with UV sterilization methods provides these benefits and many others. High performance, quality UVC germicidal lamps are the key to realizing the maximum advantages offered by UV water sterilization.
Germicidal Lamps for UV Water Treatment Systems
The most common types of germicidal lamps used in UV water treatment systems are low-pressure mercury lamps and rare gas discharge UV lamps. UVC germicidal lamps are designed without the phosphor coating which is typical of most fluorescent lamps. This allows the right amount of UV radiation to flow through the body of the lamp for effective sterilization.
The body of germicidal lamps are filled with either a mix of gases such as Argon, Mercury, Neon, Zenon, Krypton or others or may be filled with pure Argon. The germicidal application will determine the right mix of gases for the most effective sterilization.
There are a few different styles of lamps which are effective for UV water sterilization such as:
- Low Pressure Amalgam Germicidal Lamps
- Low Pressure UVC Germicidal Lamps
- Medium Pressure Mercury Discharge Germicidal Lamps
- Quartz sleeves and electronic ballasts
UV radiation emitted at precisely 254 nm, the measurement which refers to the wavelength of light, is the most effective wavelength for germ killing sterilization and sanitation. Ozone emitting lamps operate at 185nm and is also very effective at eradicating harmful contaminants and odor. These UV lamps may be designed with Quartz, soft glass or Quartz and Titanium.
LightSources Provides High Performance UVC Germicidal Lamps
LightSources is a leading global supplier of high performance UVC germicidal lamps used in water sterilization and sanitation processes. LightSources in the United States and LightTech in Europe are recognized as an authority on UV technology and developing lamp and lighting solutions. We offer a wide selection of Low Pressure UV lamps, Amalgam Lamps, Medium Pressure UV Lamps, Quartz sleeves and electronic ballasts. Our skilled design and engineering team possess in-depth knowledge of UV radiation and offer custom designed lamps made to meet your specifications.
Our Amalgam lamps are developed with proprietary technology, providing up to three times the UVC output over comparable lamps of the same size. We will custom design the right mix of gases to achieve the optimum output for your germicidal application.
LAMP PRODUCT DATA:UV Germicidal Lamps
LAMP Applications:UV Germicidal Applications
The LightSources Group represents the leading high-tech lamp designers and manufacturers in the lamp industry. We provide patent protected, OEM oriented solutions to a wide range of industries and applications. Contact us to speak with an engineer and learn more about our wide selection of standard UV lamps and custom designed UVC germicidal lamp solutions for environmentally friendly water sterilization.