Last updated: May 24, 2018
If you live in the United States, Latin America or Canada, Light Sources Inc (located at The Orange, CT 06477) is the data controller for your information. If you live anywhere else, Light Sources Inc (located at Orange, CT 06477) is the data controller with the exception of processing activities in relation to product support, product analysis and development activities, for which Light Sources Inc is the data controller. For the purposes of this Notice, we refer to these entities collectively as “Light Sources Inc.”
This Notice explains:
- What are cookies?
- Types of information collected and reasons for collection
- Types of cookies we use
- Duration of storage of cookies on your device
- Cookie management
- Consequences of deactivation of all cookies
- Changes to the Cookies Notice
- Contact us
What are cookies?
Cookies are text files that are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website and store certain information about Site usage. They are useful because they allow websites to recognize a user’s device. They are then returned to the original website on each subsequent visit or to any other website that recognizes them. For more information on cookies, go to www.allaboutcookies.org.
The term “cookie” is used in this Notice in the broad sense to include all similar techniques and technology, including web beacons and log files. For more information on these additional tools, see our glossary below.
Types of information collected and reasons for collection
Cookies help us to better understand your use of our Site and, as a result, allow us, among other things, to offer our web visitors a more personalized and consistent experience. Here are examples of the types of information that we collect through cookies:
- The number of users visiting the Light Sources Inc Site, the frequency with which the Site was viewed, the pages viewed, the clicks made on the Site and the total duration of navigation on the Site;
- The name of the website visited prior to the Light Sources Inc Site;
- Whether you are visiting our Site for the first time or not;
- Your viewing preferences (e.g. layout, sizing preferences, language etc.);
- Your purchases and your orders;
- Your user name, your password, the type of browser used and your IP address, so that we can identify you during your next visits.
Note that we do not collect your name or email address through cookies.
In addition, cookies allow us to do the following:
- Customize your visit: We may use information collected during your visit to facilitate your next visit to our Site
- Customize the advertising and marketing messages that appear on the Site, whether ours or those of third parties. This involves, for example, identifying the features of our Site that interest you, recommending accessories for your Light Sources Inc system or displaying helpful information such as how to extend your audio system to your computer or other parts of your home. Our goal is to fulfill your wishes as quickly and easily as possible
- Analyze customer trends: We compile information on our Site visits and analyze them as a whole in aggregated form. This type of study aims to identify trends among many visitors to our Site, rather than analyze the information of a particular visitor
Type of cookies we use
We use first-party and third-party cookies for several reasons. Some cookies are necessary for technical reasons for our Site to operate and/or provide basic functionality to you, and we refer to these as “essential” cookies. Other cookies enable us to track and target the interests of our users and to enhance the experience on our Site. Third parties also serve cookies through our Site for advertising, analytics and other purposes. The specific types of first- and third-party cookies served through our Site and the purposes they perform are described in more detail below.
These cookies are created by Light Sources Inc. They are, for the most part, used to allow you to browse our Site and use its features. They may also assist in analytics activities.
In addition to our proprietary cookies, some third-party and affiliated companies may place cookies on your computer, access them and associate web beacons with them. These cookies enable third-party features or functionalities to be provided on or through the Site. The parties that set these third-party cookies can recognize your device both when it visits our Site and also when it visits certain other websites.
The types of first- and third-party cookies we use on the Site are:
- Essential website cookies: These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through our Site and to use some of its features, such as access to secure areas that require registration. Because these cookies are strictly necessary to deliver the Site to you, you cannot refuse them without impacting Site functionality
- Functional cookies: These cookies allow you to browse our Site or benefit from some of its features, such as memorizing language preferences, placing orders online or using instant messaging support. Similar to essential cookies, if these cookies are disabled, it could impact your experience to use some site functionality, such as your set preferences
- Analytics cookies: These cookies allow us or our third-party analytics providers to collect statistics (aggregated and anonymous) on the use of the Site by you and other visitors. Thanks to this information, Light Sources Inc is able to improve the features offered on its Site
- Online behavioral advertising cookies: These cookies, provided by our third-party advertising partners, collect several types of data about your browsing habits, as well as your preferences for products and services. This information allows Light Sources Inc and our third-party advertising providers to display relevant advertisements on the Site and other sites you visit
To refuse these various types of cookies, please follow the instructions below under the section “Cookie management.”
Duration of storage of cookies on your device
The duration of storage of cookies on your device may vary, depending on the category to which they belong: temporary or permanent.
We use temporary cookies on all our secure pages to assign and register a session ID. You can browse our entire Site without interruption. This identifier is also used for internal reporting purposes. It does not allow us to identify you by name and this type of cookie does not leave any information recoverable on your hard drive. Most of our proprietary cookies fall into this category and expire when you close your Internet browser.
Our proprietary analysis cookies and third-party cookies are permanent cookies. They allow us to understand visitors’ browsing behavior over a longer period of time or to provide you with additional features related to your Site customization requests and the content that you have saved or stored. They can stay on your computer for 24 hours, a week or several years, depending on their function. This means that these cookies survive after your browser is closed and can be used by our Site to recognize your computer when you reopen your browser later.
All cookies: You can exercise your preference to receive all types of cookies by managing cookies from your web browser. As the means by which to activate or deactivate cookies varies from one web browser to another, you should visit your web browser’s help menu for more information on cookie preferences. You can also configure your browser at any time to be notified of the receipt of a cookie, so that you can decide whether you want to accept it or not. Cookies do not under any circumstances read the data from your hard drive and you can delete them from your computer at any time. At the moment, it is technically impossible for you to synchronize your settings between your browsers and your devices (your computer or your smartphone). You must set them on each browser/device that you currently use and each time you use a new browser or device. Please note that if you choose to disable or deactivate cookies, this will apply to all cookies and have the consequences on Site functionality discussed in the section immediately below.
Analytics cookies: To disable analytics cookies managed by our third-party analytics partners, either use the browser disablement mechanisms discussed immediately above, or use the analytics opt-out mechanisms maintained by our analytics providers:
Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on
Online advertising cookies: If you are interested in more information about tailored browser advertising and how you can generally control cookies from being put on your computer to deliver tailored advertising, you may visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s Consumer Opt-Out link, the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Consumer Opt-Out link, or Your Online Choices to opt-out of receiving tailored advertising from companies that participate in those programs. To opt out of Google Analytics for display advertising or customize Google display network ads, visit the Google Ads Settings page. You can also opt out of specific ad networks with which we partner by visiting the following links:
Google Ad Settings
These cookies, defined by Light Sources Inc or by advertising partners, collect several types of data about your browsing habits, as well as your preferences for products and services. This information allows Light Sources Inc and its partners to post relevant advertisements on their respective websites.
Consequences of deactivation of all cookies
If you choose to deactivate cookies, you may continue to use certain parts of our Site. However, some useful features may not work anymore, depending on which cookies you deactivate. For example, you will not be able to use online chat to ask technical questions or make purchases, and the Site and its content may not be as relevant to your preferences. You will not be able to search for resellers through our tool or share pages with your social network.
Please note that if you have disabled one or more cookies, we may continue to use the information that was collected by such cookies before they were deactivated. However, we will cease to collect any information via the opted-out cookie once a cookie has been deactivated.
Changes to the Cookies Notice
Cookies are text files that contain information about site usage information and are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. They are then returned to the original website each subsequent visit or to any other website that recognizes them.
Log files are Web server files (storing information such as domain names or IP addresses, URLs, the http response code, the website from which you access ours and/or the date and length of your visit) that are created automatically when a user visits a site.
Some pages of our website contain web beacons (also known as “Internet beacons” or “invisible GIFs”). A web beacon is an electronic image usually composed of a single pixel. It can be placed on a web page or in an email to transmit information, including personal data such as the IP address of the computer that downloaded the page in question, the URL of the page, the time of consultation of the page and the type of browser used, as well as the data contained in the cookies sent by a third party.